Important Notices

See Important Information about Chlorides & Water Softeners

Prohibited Items in Sewer System

Please do not dispose of cooking grease, diapers, tampons, insertion devices, sanitary napkins and related materials into sinks or toilets and subsequently the sewer system. The pumps are not designed to handle these items.

We ask that you advise your families to place these items into the garbage. If you have renters, please share this information with them and post this in your rental property.

Repairs to any pumps, damaged because of the above mentioned unacceptable items in the sewer system, may be charged to users directly connected to that pump. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Sanitary District sewer and equipment easements on your property

What is an Easement?

An Easement is a legal document that conveys limited property rights from the Grantor (Property Owner) to the Grantee (Sanitary District). This document is usually recorded in the office of the Sheboygan County Register of Deeds.

A sanitary sewer easement creates a non-exclusive, perpetual right to use a portion of your property for sanitary sewer purposes. This provides the District with access rights to repair, replace, inspect, enlarge, change, maintain, test and/or remove the sanitary sewer and equipment located within the easement.

Who owns and maintains the Easement?

The Property Owner continues to own the land and has only given up defined rights on the portion of land used for the easement. Maintenance of the property within the easement is the responsibility of the Property Owner

What is the size and location of the Easement?

The easement is typically twenty feet wide (ten feet on either side of the sanitary sewer), however, the size may vary. The location will be determined from recorded maps or a grant of easement document. If you are unfamiliar with the size and location of your easement please contact your title company or Sheboygan County.

Who can enter my property?

The District, if it has an easement, may go onto the easement at any time. The District may, on occasion, have a Contractor perform specific tasks relating to the District's operations. We will make an effort to notify you prior to entry, however, in the case of an emergency we may need to enter without prior notification. Please request, at any time, to see identification, or contact the District.

Can I make improvements within the Easement?

Easements are typically granted to the District with the understanding that the property owner may make improvements to the surface such as fences, asphalt paving, trees, irrigation and lighting systems or similar improvements. As part of the agreement, the District is permitted to remove any of these improvements for the purpose of maintaining and/or replacing the sanitary sewer. Please note that the District is not liable for any damage to your improvements.

What does this mean to me?

Do not place planters or any other objects on manhole covers, on or around pump stations. Fences and gates are not to be constructed over manhole covers or pump stations. No permanent structures are to be erected within the easement location. Keep the location of the easement clear of debris and material, especially around access points. Planting of trees within the easement is not permitted without prior approval from the District. For more information on keeping the area clear within the easement, please contact the District.

What is an encroachment on an easement?

An encroachment is a physical intrusion in an area of the easement contrary to the agreement. The District may require that any unauthorized encroachments be removed at the property owner's expense. All encroachments on easements require written approval of the District by way of an Encroachment Agreement.